Key Lime Pie Trifle
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 1 day (overnight set)
- I pint of lime jelly prepared
- 375 grams digestive biscuits (or graham crackers), crushed
- 150 grams unsalted butter, melted
- Zest and juice of 4 limes
- 570 ml double (heavy) cream
- 200 grams sweetened condensed milk
- Line an 8” cake tin with Clingfilm. In a bowl, mix together the crushed digestives and butter and place this into the lined cake tin. Press down hard, into a smooth flat disk. Pop into the fridge to set, at least two hours, but preferably overnight.
- When set, remove the film from the piecrust and chop this into bite size pieces. Sprinkle two thirds of the chopped crust into the base of your trifle bowl. Pour your prepared jelly over the top, until it just covers the crust. Place back into the fridge and allow to set.
- When the jelly has set, prepare the pie filling. In a bowl, place 285 ml of the double cream, all of the condensed milk and limejuice. Whisk for two minutes, or until the mixture is whipped and stiff. Place this on top of the jelly and smooth with an off set spatula.
- Sprinkle on half of the remaining piecrust pieces. Then in another bowl whisk the remaining double cream until stiff, and fold through three quarters or so of the lime zest.
- Spread this on top of the pie filling and smooth over, with an off set spatula. Sprinkle the remaining lime zest on top. If you are not going to be eating this immediately, cover tightly with Clingfilm and place back in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, scoop into bowls and on top of each serving, sprinkle over more of the remaining piecrust. This will ensure that it stays crunchy and not turn soft.
Christmas seems like ages ago now! But the heartburn continues. I have gorged myself with festive food. Including the remains of this year’s delicious trifle. Now, what with Trifle Layer Cake and Trifle Cupcakes, I was a tad tired of the traditional variety. I knew that I wasn't going to make trad trifle for this reason, but was unsure what to make. Then somebody at work mentioned an article they had seen in a magazine about a Key Lime Trifle. Disneyboi’s favourite dessert is Key Lime Pie, so I decided to concoct my own version, using an old recipe I had for the pie.