Kourambiedes (Greek Shortbread Cookies)
- Cooking Time: 24
- 1 lb. (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 shot ouzo, brandy, or cognac
- 3.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup roasted and crushed almonds
- additional confectioners sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Beat the butter until very creamy, a good 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cream together.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one a a time, until well incorporated and finally, mix in the vanilla and the ouzo.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture slowly, until incorporated and a relatively stiff dough forms.
- Add more flour, if necessary.
- Knead in the almonds, and knead the dough 5 or 6 times.
- Using tablespoon sized portions, roll the dough into whatever shape you want (I did crescents; in my famly, crescents, rounds and esses were the most popular) and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for about 24 minutes or until done.
- Cookies should be slightly browned, but not too dark.
- Let the cookies cool for ten minutes or so before rollling in powdered sugar.