Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies
- Cooking Time: 17 to 19
- Servings: 36
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans (8 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
- In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute.
- Gradually beat in sugars; beat to combine, 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.
- For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 17 to 19 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through.
- Remove cookies from rack to cool.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
- NOTE: For 6 dozen smaller cookies, use 2 tablespoons dough for each. Bake at 350 F for 15 to 18 minutes.
Think what you want about her, her husband, or politics in general - but this lady makes ONE MEAN chocolate chip cookie! This recipe was a hit last Christmas, and is definitely on my list to make again this year! I also left out the pecans and it was just as delicious. It yields a lot of cookies, so I wound up freezing half the dough.