Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Servings: 2 dozen
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter or margarin and brown sugar with an electric mixer or medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in lemn zest, lemon extract, and vanilla.
- Add flour and salt to butter/sugar mixture and blend well. With a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies using a 2 inch round cutter and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Reroll scraps.
- Bake 13-15 minutes until cookies are pale golden but not brown. Let stand 2 minutes. Remove to a rack and let cool completely.
- Mix enough powdered sugar and lemon juice to make thin mixture. Dip cookie tops in frosting. Place back on rack until frosting hardens.