Light Spaghetti Carbonara
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp.salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta
- 2 cups leeks (2 large or 4 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Boil spaghetti. While spaghetti is cooking, beat egg and egg white together. Combine it with cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside. Cook pancetta over medium heat until fat is rendered. Add leeks and garlic and cook for another few minutes.
- When spaghetti is finished, drain and reserve some of the liquid. Pour a 1/4 cup of the liquid into the cheese/egg mixture, very slowly and stirring constantly. (This is done so as not to cook the egg. It's called tempering) I added another 1/4 cup of the liquid to the pan with the pancetta, leeks and garlic, covered and simmered for another 5 minutes.
- Add egg/cheese mixture to the pan. Stir over heat for another minute or two. Then add spaghetti to the pot cook for another minute and serve.
Tracy gave me this recipe and it was awesome! Just had it tonight. The boyfriend had thirds and it was easy to make. I made it with whole wheat spaghetti and the light sauce was so good it tasted like a full calorie meal. You could also add peas, but I'm allergic to them, so I didn't. Also, the original recipe called for parsley to be sprinkled on top at the end, but I don't think much of parsley. Sorry, parsley. And it also said to cook the pancetta, then remove it but retain the fat and that's way too intensive for me for something that is going to taste the same. Also, I added the part about covering it and adding a little liquid. But I stand by my dinner as being awesome