- 1 cup walnuts or pecans -- shelled
- 3 large shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion -- peeled and quartered
- 1 stick butter -- unsalted
- 2 large granny Smith apple -- peeled and chopped
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 8 ounces Italian sausage -- casings removed
- 1/4 cup Calvados -- or applejack
- 8 ounces cream cheese -- room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 tablespoon tarragon
- 1/8 tablespoon allspice
- Note: All ingredients are processed in a Cuisinart food processor.
- 1. Lightly butter a 4 cup terrine mold, or bowl with plastic wrap.
- 2. Process nuts for 5 seconds and set aside. With the machine running, drop the shallots and garlic through the feed tube and process until finely minced. Add the onion and pulse.
- 3. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium hot skillet and add the garlic and onion. Saute for a few minutes and then add the diced apple, 1/4 teaspoon sugar and mix well. Add back to the food processor.
- 4. Melt remaining butter and saute the livers and sausage and cook about 10 minutes until done.
- 5. Gently warm the Calvados in a small saucepan and when the meats are done, ignite the Calvados and pour it over them. Let cool.
- 6. Add to food processor and process about 30 seconds.
- 7. Add the cream cheese and seasonings and process until smooth. Add the nuts and pulse.
- 8. Place in terrine and cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Note: Will keep 3-4 days. You can shape, then garnish with nuts, tomatoes, etc. Freezes well if you need to make it ahead of time.