Loretta Lynn's Fried Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken
- Seasoned Flour
- Crisp Batter
- Crisco Oil for frying
- SEASONED FLOUR: Combine ingredients for Seasoned Flour in a medium bowl and set aside.
- BATTER: Combine egg yolk and beer. Gradually add to other dry ingredients for batter (2/3 C. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper).
- Heat Crisco to 365 degrees in deep saucepan or deep fryer to a depth of about 2 inches.
- Moisten chicken pieces. Dip in Seasoned Flour mixture, then Batter mixture, then back in the Seasoned Flour mixture.
- Fry in hot Crisco for 15 to 18 minutes or until well browned.
- Drain on paper towels. If batter becomes too thick, add a little more beer.
I saw Loretta Lynn on a t.v. show one time giving cooking tips. She said "Anything tastes better with a little bit of sugar in it." Now I add a little bit, sometimes as little as 1/8 of a teaspoon of sugar to, cream sauces, tomato sauces and even some vegetables and it usually does improve the taste. (The show was the Dinah Shore show, does that tell you how old I am?! Ha ha.)