MOM'S APPLE CRISP
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1 packed cup brown sugar (I've been using Whey Low Golden as I am diabetic)
- 5 good size MacIntosh or Golden Delicious Apples
- cooking mix:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (if you use white sugar it will reduce the sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- sprinkle of salt
- 1/2 cup melted margarine
- Place margarine or butter, brown sugar in a shallow cake pan (8 x 8). Place pan over a low heat. While the mixture is melting cut approximately 5 good size MacIntosh or Golden Delicious Apples into chunks. Mix the chopped apples into the sugar and margarine mixture. Leave this mixture on the element at low heat. While this is cooking mix: flour, 1 cup brown sugar (if you use white sugar it will reduce the sweetness), 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, sprinkle of salt and 1/2 cup melted margarine. Mix all together and spread over the cooked apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
This was my mother's way of making apple crisp. If you use brown sugar with the fruit and white sugar with the topping it is so sweet it knocks your socks off. The cooking on the element before hand kind of carmelizes the sugar and fruit.If you wish to substitute apples for rhubarb increase the brown sugar in the pan to 1 1/4 cups. Can use peaches, pears, blueberries, etc. instead of apple.