Macaroni and Cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash hot sauce
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, for topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Continue to stir while adding
- the dry mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Stir in the 3 cups of Cheddar until it melts.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and add to a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the chips, bacon and Parmesan on top and bake for 35 minutes.
- Note: I know this may be sac-religious for mac and cheese buffs but if you grew up in the 70's and loooove krafts mac and cheese in the box....instead of using cheddar cheese, use velveta cheese. (its probably the ONLY time i even think about eating velveta cheese.)