Maple Wet Nuts Ice Cream Topping
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- In a saucepan, combine the corn syrup, maple syrup, sugar and water.
- Place saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the walnut pieces; bring syrup back to a boil before removing from heat.
- Allow to cool, then store in a clean, sterilized jar.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- To use, spoon a generous portion of nuts and sauce over your favorite ice cream, or use as a replacement for nuts on any ice cream sundae.
I get the impression that "Wet Nuts" may be a New England thing, judging by the guffaws and repressed snickers I've gotten anywhere else in the world, whenever I've asked for them on my ice cream! Well, for those of you who have never had the pleasure of the wet nut experience, here's a recipe to make your own. I sometimes make these up and pack them in a fancy, serilzed jar for a gift. They keep well, refrigerated, for a long time; although once you try them, storage won't be a problem...they'll disappear quickly!