- 2 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes in juice
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, stemmed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic gloves, finely chopped (I like garlic - I use 6 - 8 gloves)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In the blender, puree the tomatoes with their juice and the basil until almost smooth. Set the tomatoe puree aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and the garlic and saute until very tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, oregano, and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium and continue simmering until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season the sauce to taste with salt and black pepper.
- The sauce can be made 1 day ahead of time. If storing for future use, cool, then cover and refrigerate or prepare for the freezer. Rewarm over medium heat.