Meringue Candy Canes
- Cooking Time: 50 min. +
- Servings: 48
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- * 3 egg whites
- * 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- * 3/4 cup sugar
- * 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- * Red paste food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Beat in peppermint extract.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry bag; insert star tip #21. On the inside of the bag, brush three evenly spaced 1/4-in. strips of red food coloring from the tip to three-fourths of the way to the top of the bag. Carefully fill bag with meringue.
- Pipe 3-in. candy canes onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 25 minutes; rotate baking sheets to a different oven rack. Bake 25 minutes longer or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave cookies in oven with door ajar for at least 1 hour or until cool. Yield: 4 dozen.