Mom's Potato Soup
- 4 pounds potatoes-washed, peeled & diced into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion-diced
- 1 small carrot-cut into match stick size (this is optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4-5 cups milk
- 1 stick butter-cut into squares
- 1-2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
- real bacon bit pieces for topping
- In a pot, put enough water to cover potatoes and boil until almost tender.
- After boiling potatoes, drain 1/2 of the water out. Add milk, onion, carrots, butter, salt & pepper to potatoes and water.
- Cover and boil gently until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Add instant potato flakes and gently boil to desired thickness.
- If you get it to thick, just add more milk. I always add more salt when plated.
- Top with bacon bit pieces and serve.