Multigrain Burger Buns
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup quinoa (thoroughly rinsed)
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp yeast
- 2 TB vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 tsp barely malt syrup
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Dissolve the barely malt syrup in the warm water. Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. You will have a sticky dough. Cover lightly and set aside (on the counter) for 2 hours. At this point you can either refrigerate the dough for about 5 - 7 days or use immediately. However, if you can refrigerate it for a few hours at least, the dough will be easier to handle.
- Dust the dough with flour and divide into plum sized balls about 1/4 lb each, dust with more flour as needed. Shape into taut balls by pulling the sides down and around the bottom, rotating as you go. Place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Flatten slightly and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Allow to rest / rise for 20 - 40 minutes. You will know when the buns are ready for the oven when you poke one with your finger and the dough doesn't immediately spring back.
- Preheat your oven to 350' F while the buns are rising. Brush with an egg wash and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before slicing