- 4 slices prosciutto (about 1-1/2 ounces) or bacon
- 8 scallions or green onions, thinly sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 pound fresh shiitake* and/or button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
- In a large skillet, cook prosciutto or bacon until crisp; drain off drippings and crumble prosciutto or bacon. Set aside.
- Wipe pan clean. Cook scallions in same skillet in butter or margarine over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and pepper. Stir in cheese and the mushroom mixture. Pour into a greased 2-quart rectangular (12x7-1/2x2-inch) baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted off-center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
- Note: Remove and discard the tough stems from the shiitake mushrooms before slicing them.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 35 minutes