Mushroom and Leek Migas
- Servings: 4-6
- 4 5" corn tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups oil (divided)
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 heavy cream (milk will do if that's all you have)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms (or whatever you prefer would be just fine)
- 1 leek, ends removed and sliced
- 2 TB minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese (or whatever you have on hand)
- Cut the tortillas in half then slice into thin strips (about 1/2"). Heat 1 cup of oil in a large heavy bottom saucepan over medium high heat.
- Working in batches, fry the tortilla strips for 1 to 2 minutes or until browned, flipping as needed. Keep an eye on them. They go from golden brown to burnt real quick.
- Remove from pan to a towel lined plate or baking sheet.
- Whisk together the eggs and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once you're finished with the strips, rinse out the pan and heat up the remaining 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat.
- Saute the mushrooms for about 3 minutes or until tender (ooooh they smell so good). Add the leek and saute for another 2 minutes. Then add the garlic.
- Saute for a minute before pouring in the egg. Stir constantly in a circular motion until the eggs begin to solidify then add those lovely crispy tortilla strips.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the eggs are cooked through.
- Remove from heat, top with the amazing, tangy Manchego cheese and serve. If you'd like, chop up some cilantro, avocado, maybe a little tomato and sprinkle on top as well
Migas is typically a breakfast dish but how many of you love to eat breakfast for dinner? I'm a huge fan, that's for sure. Which is why I chose to make this for dinner. It's quick, easy and delish! This is a great meal for those busy weeknights. Loaded with flavor and guaranteed not to send you to bed hungry. Do you have a vegetarian in the house? Peeeerfeeeeeeect! Can't go wrong there. And one more thing, if dirty dishes aren't your thing...then you're going to love this even more. One pan is all you need.