- 1.5kg leg mutton (small cubes)
- 2.5cm ginger, ground to paste
- 4 cloves garlic, ground to paste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 green chilli
- 6 cloves
- 18 shallots, sliced
- 8 black cardamons, remove pods
- 2 potatoes, cut to wedges
- 1.5 cups thick coconut milk
- 5 cups thin coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp salts (marinate)
- 35g meat curry powder
- Marinate mutton with ginger, 2 tsp salt and garlic for 1/2 hour.
- Heat wok with ghee and fry cinnamon and cloves till fragrant.
- Add shallots, green chilli and cardamon seeds, then potatoes till fragrant.
- Add mutton and stir fry for 2 mins. Cover and allow mutton to cook till the juice evaporates. Turn occassionally.
- Pour in thin coconut milk and cook covered for a further 15 mins over medium heat.
- Add thick coconut milk and bring to a boil. Stir in salt and curry powder. Cook for a further 20 mins or more till mutton is tender.
- (note: I find this dish taste even better overnight)