My new favorite Green Bean Casserole
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes total
- Servings: 10 servings
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 6 (14.5 oz.) cans green beans
- 2 (4oz.) cans sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium onions sliced very thinly
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- non-stick cooking spray
- olive oil
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Melt 5 Tablespoons butter and combine with 5 Tablespoons flour, cook for at least 1 minute. Remove from heat and add salt, onion powder, milk, sour cream, cheese and soy sauce. Combine and then stir in green beans and mushrooms. Put into 9x13 inch pan.
- Onion topping: Preheat oven to 475 degrees. I covered a cookie sheet with non-stick tin foil and then sprayed with non-stick spray. In large bowl combine the flour, Panko and salt. Add the thinly sliced onions and toss to combine. Spread the onions on the pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown. Pull pan out of the oven and stir the onions about every ten minutes. Total cooking time will be about 30 minutes.
- Right before baking sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese over top then evenly distribute the crunchy onions. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until nice and brown and bubbly.
I was requested to bring a green bean casserole to a family gathering. My in-laws are all fabulous cooks so I definitely did not want to bring the old standby with the canned soups etc. My pan came home empty and the recipe made a lot and everyone raved about it. I will definitely be making this from now on. I read just about every recipe I could find for green bean casseroles and then made up my own recipe.