Natural-Sweetened Graham Crackers (Gluten Free)
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose, gluten-free flour mix
- 1/3 cup dry milk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/8 cup warm honey
- 1/8 cup molasses or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients. Make a well in flour mixture and add wet ingredients. Mix well with spoon. The dough should not be too dry; you should be able to form it into a ball, although it will begin to lose its shape after only a moment. If it doesn't form into a ball then add up to 1/4 cup more flour to stiffen it.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Grease or spray a very large cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little bit of GF Flour. Place dough on cookie sheet and roll out (under a sheet of plastic wrap, to keep it from sticking to your rolling pin) until it is 1/8-inch thick. Score deeply into rectangles, then lightly score the rectangles in half length and widthwise (like a real graham cracker). Take a large fork and prick holes across the crackers (do not skip this! This is what allows moisture to leave the crackers and creates the crunch!). Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, then remove outer crackers if they are browning too quickly, and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes, until a dark gold color (see picture).
- Move crackers to a cooling rack immediately and let cool completely before using. Not only are these great in the peanut butter ball recipe below, they are wonderful spread with almond or peanut butter and banana slices or crushed and used as a pie crust! Yum!
- This recipe makes about 20 graham crackers, or about 3 cups crumbs.
- Number of Servings: 20