- Cooking Time: 1 minute
- Servings: 32
- Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- * 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1 package active dry yeast
- * 1-1/4 teaspoons grated fresh nutmeg or 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- * 1 cup milk
- * 1/4 cup sugar
- * 2 tablespoons shortening
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 1 egg
- * Shortening or cooking oil for deep-fat frying
- * Sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- * Honey
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and nutmeg. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, the 2 tablespoons shortening, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and the shortening is almost melted.
- 2. Add milk mixture to the flour mixture. Add the egg. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 3. Place the dough in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 4 to 24 hours.
- 4. Turn dough out onto a slightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 15x12-inch rectangle; cut into thirty 3x2-inch rectangles. Cover; let rest 20 minutes (dough will not be doubled).
- 5. Heat 3 inches of shortening or oil in a deep saucepan to 375 degrees F. Fry a few dough rectangles at a time in hot fat about 1 minute or until beignets are golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 300 degrees F oven while cooking remaining beignets. If desired, lightly sift powdered sugar over beignets. Serve warm, drizzled with honey. Makes 30 beignets.