Old-fashioned Country Gravy
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- *Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- *Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- *Cook and stir over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. *Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue cooking and stirring until thickened. If the gravy becomes too thick, you may thin it with a little more milk.
- OTHER NOTES OF INTEREST:
- You can use bacon grease to make a very flavorful country gravy by eliminating some of the milk (measure the grease the same as milk, so 1/2 cup of grease would eliminate 1/2 cup of milk).