Orange Clove Cupcakes With Vanilla Buttercream And Clove-candied Orange Peel
- Servings: 24
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of grated orange zest
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of orange juice (no pulp)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, zest, ground cloves, salt and baking powder together in a bowl and set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar in a mixer and beat on high for 30 seconds until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and oil and mix until just combined.
- Add some of the dry ingredients and then the orange juice. Alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry.
- Scoop into cupcake papers about 3/4 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, rotating the pan after the first 15 minutes. Check with a cake tester or toothpick for doneness.
My friend Babette, who is also the creator of Bakespace, is celebrating the Bakespace birthday this month, so I decided to make her her very own cupcake. This is a slightly citric, lightly aromatic, and hedonistic spice cake. It's comforting and eloquent with it's bold, in-your-face flavors. Orange cake has been laced with hints of freshly ground cloves to give it a bit of a bite. A vanilla buttercream acts as a simple, if not perfectly paired backdrop to allow the real star flavors to shine. The candied orange peel has also been given a bit of raw ground clove as well, it's pungent and slightly bitter flavor creating sweet little pinpricks on your tongue. It's a delicious thing to bite into. Here's to you darlin'! Congrats!