Pasta with Spinach and Smoked Sausage
- 1/4 pound cooked smoked turkey or chicken sausage
- 1 large leek, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 (7 ounce) jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into thin, bite-size strips
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 6 ounces dried pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup finely shredded reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1. Cut the sausage lengthwise into quarters. Slice into 1/4-inch pieces. In a large skillet, cook leek and garlic in hot olive oil until leek is tender. Stir in sausage, chicken broth, and roasted peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Add spinach. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or just until spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil or salt; drain. Return pasta to saucepan. Add spinach mixture, basil, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.