Pastrami Mac and Cheese
- Cooking Time: 20 to 25
- Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 Tbsp. butter, plus extra for the baking dish
- 1/2 lb. farfalle
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups (about 1/2 lb) grates sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 lb pastrami, diced (scant cup)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 10 Ritz crackers, pulsed in the food processor, about 1/3 cup crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350-f degrees. Butter an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and cook the farfalle until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the 4 Tbsp. butter. Sprinkle the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring, and raise the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until almost boiling and smooth, about 5 minutes. Add the cheeses and stir until melted and incorporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pastrami and lower the heat. Add the pasta and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to the baking dish and top with the cracker crumbs. Bake until browned and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.