Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup shortening or lard
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening till pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of mixture, then toss with a fork.
- Push to side of bowl.
- Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time until all is moistened.
- Divide dough in half.
- Form each half into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one ball of dough.
- roll dough from center to edges forming a 12 inch circle.
- Wrap the pastry around the rolling pin.
- Unroll onto a 9 inch pie plate.
- Ease pastry into the pie plate, being careful NOT to stretch it.
- For top crust, repeat rolling remaining dough.
- Cut slits in crust.
- Transfer filling in pastry lined pie plate; trim bottom pastry even with rim of plate .
- Place top crust on filling.
- Trim top crust 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate.
- Fold top crust under bottom pastry.
- Seal and crimp edges.
- Bake as directed in recipes