- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour (This will lower the gluten content and make for a more tender crust
- 1 cup (2 sticks) un-salted butter, VERY cold, and cut into very thin slices
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 TB sugar
- Approximately 2/3 - 3/4 cup very cold water
- Mix the flours, salt and sugar with a whisk together very lightly.
- Add slices of butter and work the butter through the flour with your finger tips or a pastry cutter.
- If butter becomes too warm in your hands, place bowl back in refrigerator.
- You still want to be able to see butter in the flour.
- Add the ice-cold water and mix very fast with your hand just enough that the dough coheres.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to let the gluten relax a little.