Peanut Butter Chiffon Pie
- 4.5 oz. Chocolate cookie crumbs
- 2 Tbl. sugar
- pinch salt
- ½ c butter, melted
- 1 Tbl.unflavored gelatin (1 pkg.)
- ¼ c water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c smooth peanut butter
- 1 c milk
- ½ c heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325
- Combine crumbs, sugar and salt in a bowl and toss together.
- Add the butter and stir until blended.
- Press into pie tin and bake for 8 minutes; cool completely.
- In a small bowl sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand to soften.
- Put the egg yolks in a med. saucepan and whisk for a moment.
- Stir in ¾ c sugar, peanut butter and milk.
- Place over med. heat and cook stirring constantly until the mixture just reaches a simmer and thickens slightly but does not boil.
- Remove from heat and add the softened gelatin, stirring until it is completely dissolved.
- Pour into a bowl and chill, stirring now and then, until it mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon and no longer feels warm, about 1 hour or more.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and slowly add the remaining ¼ cups sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold eggs and cream into chilled peanut butter mixture until completely blended.
- Mound into crust, and chill several hours before serving.