Penne al Betsy
- ¾ pound penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound large shrimp (I subbed chicken)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine (I subbed chicken broth)
- 1 (8-ounce) can plain tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- basil leaves, to taste, chiffonaded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, while water heats and pasta cooks, make the sauce. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add the shrimp and cook for a few minutes, until opaque. Remove to a plate to let cool. Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally.
- While the onion and garlic are cooking, chop the shrimp into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Add the wine (or chicken broth) to the pan and allow to reduce for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce. Add the heavy cream and stir well to combine. Add shrimp back to the skillet and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the parsley and basil and mix well.
- Drain pasta and return to pot. Add the sauce to the pot and stir well to combine. Serve.