Peppermint-Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Cooking Time: 12
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 20
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 tsp peppermint extract, to taste
- 12 oz semi-sweet or dark chocolate, roughly chopped (or 1 package chocolate chunks)
- 12 peppermint candies, roughly chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment or silpat.
- Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 25-second increments, stirring in between, until just melted. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and peppermint extract on high speed until the sugar has completely dissolved (4-5 minutes). Reduce speed to low and add the melted (and now slightly cooled) chocolate. Mix until uniform. Add the flour mixture until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chunks.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Sprinkle a few pieces of the chopped peppermints over each of the dough mounds, pressing lightly into the dough (you can do this post-baking, too). Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet still soft in centers, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container.