Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cooking Time: 10-13
- Servings: About 2 dozen
- Preparation Time: 25
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1 c. packed light brown sugar (dark brown okay but will result in different taste)
- 2 t. pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg, plus an extra yoke
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl then set aside
- Place 1/4 c. of the butter in a heat-proof bowl then set aside
- Brown the remaining butter in a sauce pan (heat the butter on medium heat, stirring constantly until butter changes color and emits a nutty smell).
- Remove from heat and whisk into bowl with remaining butter until all butter is melted. Add sugars, vanilla, egg and extra yolk, whisk heartily as mixture thickens for 30 seconds. Let rest for 3 minutes then whisk again for 30 seconds. Repeat this rest-n-mix method twice.
- Stir in flour mixture. When incorporated, add chocolate chips.
- Drop dough in golfball-sized lumps on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes (13 for a crispier cookie), flipping the sheets top to bottom, back to front, half way through baking.
- Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy while still warm!