Petite Apple-Banana Cakes
- Cooking Time: 40-50 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2 plus 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 red baking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Spray a 6-well (2-3/4-inch squares) removable bottom pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- 3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine bananas and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Add honey and eggs, beating until well combined. Set aside.
- 4. In a medium bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, lemon zest, nutmeg, ginger, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cloves, stirring well. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, beating until batter is uniform.
- 5. Fill each well of prepared pan one-third full of batter. Add 2 even layers of apple slices. add remaining batter until wells are two-thirds full. Set aside.
- 6. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1-1/3 cups of flour, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, stirring well. Add melted butter, stirring until pea-size crumbles form. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
- 7. Bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely