Phil's Spaghetti Puttanesca
- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 2
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 large clove finely chopped garlic
- Say 3 tspns chili powder or to taste (how hot can you take it?)
- Large handful of washed fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- About one third as much chopped fresh parsley.
- 1 can good quality Roma tomatoes.
- ~ 1/3 small tin of flat anchovies, chopped.
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese. (optional)
- ~ 15 sliced seeded olives. Bottled green olives stuffed with pimento are ok.
- Hard durum wheat pasta.
- Gently fry the garlic in the olive oil only until just clear - do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, basil, most of the parsley, chili powder, anchovies and olives.
- Mix well. Crush the tomatoes with a spatula while cooking.
- Allow sauce to reduce and simmer for at least 15 mins, longer to deepen the flavor.
- Add water to prevent drying out if needed.
- Adding salt is unlikely to be necessary (anchovies are salty enough).
- Best prepared ahead of time and allowed to develop.
- Serve over spaghetti or other pasta that has been cooked al dente in well-salted water.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and the remainder of the fresh parsley before serving.