Phyllo Wrapped Bananas
- Phyllo Wrapped Bananas
- 4 tbsp dried cherries
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 small bananas
- 3 tbsp rum (optional)
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- To Assemble
- PHYLLO WRAPPED BANANAS: Preheat oven to 350° F. Soak dried cherries in hot water for 5 minutes to soften and drain. Beat cream cheese until smooth and stir in sugar and vanilla extract.
- Working with one sheet of phyllo pastry at a time (keep remaining phyllo completely covered under a damp towel), cut 1 sheet in half. Brush first half with butter and place second half on top and brush with butter. Repeat process with another sheet of phyllo cut in half. Spread 2 Tbsp cream cheese in the centre of the pastry. Place 1½ Tbsp chopped chocolate and a sprinkle of dried cherries over cream cheese. Peel banana, cut in half and place pieces next to each other on top of filling and sprinkle with rum. Fold end edges of pastry in over banana. Roll up banana to create a square package and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining bananas. Baste parcels with butter and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- To serve, slice diagonally across and plate with a scoop of ice cream. Drizzle with Chocolate Sauce (directions follow) and enjoy!
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Bring water and sugar to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Sift cocoa powder and whisk in with instant coffee and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add cream and whisk until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Chill until ready to serve and reheat in microwave before serving. Yield: Approximately 1 cup.