- 4 pounds fresh beets, sliced
- 1 pound onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seed
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- Boil beets in water just to cover until a fork can barely pierce them.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, and spices in large kettle. Bring to a boil, add beets and onions, and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Pack beets and onions in hot, sterilized jars. Pour vinegar mixture over beets to within half inch of rim. Seal and process for 15 minutes in boiling water bath.