Picnic Potato Salad with Marjoram and Pickled Onions
- 1 large dark red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup aple cider vinegar
- salt and freshly milled pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs boiling or waxy potatoes
- 2 Tblsp Dijon mustard
- 3 large garlic cloves, pounded or put through a press
- 3 tblsp capers, rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, any color, finely diced
- 4 celery ribs or 1 fennel bulb, finely diced
- 3 tblsp chopped marjoram
- 1 tblsp chopped thyme or lemon thyme
- Put the diced onion in a strainer. Bring a kettle of water to a boil and pour it slowly over the onion. Shake the onion dry and put it in a large salad bowl. Add the vinegar, 1 tsp salt, several grinds of pepper the oil and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes, then peel and slice them. While still warm, add them to the onion along with the mustard, garlic and capers. Toss gently with a soft rubber spatula. Add the bell pepper, celery, and herbs and toss once more. Taste for salt and grind in plenty of pepper.