Pineapple Carrot Cake
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup golden brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup diced or crushed pineapple, fresh or tinned (drained)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- To Assemble
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease an 8-inch square pan. Whisk together oil, brown sugar, eggs, maple syrup and grated ginger. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and stir into wet mixture to blend. Stir in carrot and pineapple and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To prepare frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together. Beat in icing sugar until smooth and stir in vanilla. Spread over cooled cake and store chilled until ready to serve.
- Yield: 1 8-inch square cake. Makes 9 to 12 servings.