- 1 1/4 cups shelled pistachios, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place pistachios in a single layer in a pan; toast for 3 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugars, water and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium, and continue to boil until mixture reaches 300°F (hard crack stage; use candy thermometer); stirring frequently.
- Stir in 3/4 cup pistachios; mix well and pour into a jellyroll pan lined with buttered foil. Spread mixture into a large rectangle. Cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe container, microwave white chocolate 30 seconds; stir.
- Continue microwaving in 10-second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted and smooth, but not hot.
- Using a spatula, spread over toffee, covering it completely.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pistachios and gently pat into chocolate.
- Place pan in refrigerator for 5 minutes or until chocolate has set.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Recipe: 2007 Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.