- Servings: 6
- 24 round slices pepperoni
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup banana pepper rings
- 2 tubes (11 oz each) refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 1-1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- garlic salt
- red pepper flakes
- yellow corn meal
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place butter in a microwave bowl and sprinkle with garlic salt. Microwave until butter is melted.
- Spray 15x10-inch baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with corn meal.
- Unroll pizza dough onto parchment paper and cut each can of dough into 3 wide strips. Spread marinara sauce lengthwise down center of dough to within 1/2 inch of each short edge.
- Layer pepperoni (4 slices each) evenly on top of sauce. Sprinkle cheese evenly over pepperoni. Add onions and pepper rings. Pull up each long edge over filling and pinch edges together to seal. Pinch short ends together to seal.
- Brush with butter and garlic salt mixture and sprinkle with oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Place calzones on baking sheet and bake 18-20 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Heat remaining marinara sauce in covered container in microwave until hot. Serve sauce for dipping calzones if desired.
This is the way we make Pizza Calzones at the school cafeteria where I work and we sell out everytime we make them! The pre-made dough that we get at school is round and that is the only difference between me making them at home! I know from school lunches that my kids would love these but it was a treat for my DH and he gave it 2 thumbs up! No leftovers! I want to add that the calzones are very big and filling! There are endless possibilites to what you can stuff the calzones with! Sausage would be good as well as green peppers or anything you like on your pizza!