Pomegranate Tres Leche Cupcakes
- For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups cake flour (sifted)
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of salted butter
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Few drops of red food coloring
- For the syrup:
- 2 5oz cans of evaporated milk
- 7 oz of sweetened condensed milk (half a 14 oz can)
- 1 cup of half and half
- 2/3 cup of POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- For the icing:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease muffin tins.
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, add 5 egg yolks, ½ cup of sugar, and 2 tablespoons salted butter. Beat on low speed till mixture is nice and buttery.
- 2. Add 1 ½ cups sifted cake flour, 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla, 1/3 cup milk, 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder, and a few drops of red food coloring . Mix till combined.
- 3. In a separate bowl, beat 5 egg whites with the whisk attachment. Add in ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar and the remaining ¼ cup of sugar. Continue whisking till peaks are light and fluffy.
- 4. Lightly fold the egg white mixture into the cake mix.
- 5. Pour the cake mix into the tins till it reaches the top of the tin.
- 6. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- 7. While cupcakes are baking, combine 2 5oz. cans of evaporated milk, 7 oz. of sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup of half and half, and 2/3 cup of POM Wonderful.
- 8. Allow cupcakes to cool for 30 minutes. When cool, take a toothpick and poke about a dozen little holes into each cupcake. Place the cupcakes in a cake pan and pour the syrup mixture completely over all the cupcakes. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- 9. For the icing, pour one cup of heavy whipping cream, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla into a bowl. Whip till you have delicious homemade whipped cream.
- 10. For the martini look, pour a few tablespoon of sugar into a plastic bag. Add a few drops of POM Wonderful and shake well. Pour the colored sugar onto a plate. Pour a few tablespoons of POM Wonderful onto another plate---just enough to coat the bottom of the plate. Dip the rim of the glass in the POM Wonderful and then dip it into the sugar. Place a bit of whipped cream in the bottom of the glass to stabilize, put the moist cupcake on top, frost, and garnish with pomegranate arils. Refrigerate till ready to serve.