- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (cilantro was used this time, shhh don't tell)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes (get your 1/4 cup from this)
- 1/2 cup water (use this to rinse the rest of the tomatoes out of the can)
- 1 large sweet onion chopped (again, get the 1/4 cup from this)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped (you got it, remove 1/4 cup from this)
- 1 packet low sodium chicken broth powder without msg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix together.
- Coat a large deep saute pan with the canola oil and preheat over medium heat.
- Form the beef mixture into meatballs the size of a golfball and add to the pan as you work.
- Cover tightly and let cook for about 5 minutes. Shake the pan to turn the meatballs, add the rest of the onion and shake the pan again to settle it down on the bottom.
- Cover and cook another five minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients reserving a bit of parsley for garnish.
- Cover tightly, reduce heat to low, simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.