Potato Onion Comfort Soup
- Cooking Time: 1.5 hours
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 cups yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 medium red potatoes, sliced in half then sliced very thin (use a mandoline or a food processor for this!)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 3 Tbls. tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium low heat.
- Add onion and cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while. Your onions need to get super soft and turn a dark golden color before you add anything else or you won't get the right flavor.
- Once you get them to that point, stir in garlic, red wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and potatoes.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes before pouring in your stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 35 - 45 minutes, until your potatoes are fork tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove bay leaf, and serve.