- Cooking Time: 6-8 hours
- Servings: 6-12
- Preparation Time: 10 min
- 1 pot roast
- 20-30 dried cloves
- 2 cans of root beer (I prefer Hansen’s)
- BBQ sauce
- If you are committed to amazing, prepare with homemade BBQ sauce, elsewise find one with decent ingredients (avoid high fructose corn syrup).
- Buy a shoulder or butt roast that fits inside your crockpot, space cloves about 2 thumbs distance apart and cover all sides. Put into your crockpot and cover ½way with root beer (about 2 cans), cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Pour out the liquid. I recommend pouring it into a large glass container to cool and refrigerate to separate fat from root beer with meat juice. You can use the fat to cook with later if you like. The defatted liquid can safely be poured down the sink.
- Pull meat apart with 2 forks. Now add your BBQ sauce, covering generously.
- Save bones for later stock making. You can keep bones together in a bag in the freezer until you have enough.