- Servings: 2 loaves
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 3 T melted butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 3 oz. grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix water, sugar and yeast; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup flour and butter to yeast mixture; cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, salt and nutmeg.
- Add 2 cups flour and half of cheese.
- Knead 8 minutes, adding remaining flour to prevent sticking.
- Let rise in oiled bowl, covered, for 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch down and let rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; shape each in 8-inch round.
- Place on baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Top each with remaining cheese and nuts, pressing in so they don't fall off.
- Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400.
- Bake 30 minutes until browned.