- Cooking spray
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal (not instant or
- pre-cooked polenta)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin, coarsely mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream or heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère or Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously coat a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. Combine water, salt and cornmeal in dish,
- mixing well (the mixture will separate). Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. Remove from oven; stir in pumpkin, sour cream, pepper, nutmeg and half the cheeses. Bake 10 minutes.
- 3. Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese, and place under the broiler for a few minutes, until top is brown and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
- Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon, Relish the Season, "From Patch to Pan," October 2007.
- Nutritional Information
- Per serving: 200 calories, 10g fat, 10g prot., 17g carbs., 2g fiber, 760mg sodium.
- To cook the pumpkin, cut in half, scoop out seeds, and place cut side down in a pan of water. Bake at 400F until tender. Scoop out pulp with a spoon and cut into chunks (or mash); discard skin.
I cut this out of the newspaper last week,hoping to make it this weekend. However, my mother stole the recipe from me to make for our book club potluck Tuesday night. It's wonderfully creamy. Mom thought that it could use a little more salt, but I thought will the salty cheese it was fine as baked. Instructions on how to cook the pumpkin follow the nutritional info for this recipe.