Pumpkin Spice Flan-Cake
- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 c. cajeta (goat's milk caramel)
- for the cake:
- 1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) Spice Cake mix
- 1 c. Libby's Pure Pumpkin Puree
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- for the flan:
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Grease and flour a 10" wide, 3" deep cake pan.
- Warm the cajeta in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, until it is a bit "loose. Pour into prepared cake pan, swirl to coat bottom and set aside.
- Mix all of the cake ingredients for ~2 minutes by hand, or until very well combined (or use a mixer). Pour into pan over layer of cajeta.
- Combine all of flan ingredients in a blender and blend until very well combined. Gently pour this mixture over the cake batter.
- Set cake pan inside a roasting pan and place in oven. Pour boiling water into roasting pan, around cake pan, ~1" up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for ~55 minutes or until cake appears "set". Yup, the flan and the cake switched places during the baking process...cool, huh!? The cake should look moist, but not wet and it will have begun to pull away from the edges of the pan.
- Remove cake pan from roasting pan and allow to cool on the counter for at least an hour.
- Run a thin bladed knife around the edges, to make sure it's loose. Place a large, rimmed dish upside down over the pan. In one swift motion, flip the flan-cake over onto the plate. Lift off the pan. The cajeta should pool on top and drizzle over the edge. Just scrape any excess from pan right onto top of flan-cake. Enjoy.