Quick Rigatoni with Sausage and Smoked Mozzarella
- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 5
- 4 oz. rigatoni (I use whole wheat)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 (3 oz.) spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed (I use chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (including the juice)
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh sage or 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzarella
- Preheat the broiler. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Cook the rigatoni until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large broiler-proof pan over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with your spoon/paddle. Stir in the garlic and cook until sausage has browned and garlic is fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for a few minutes before stirring in the half and half and the sage. Bring to a gentle simmer to thicken and season to taste again, if necessary.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to coat. Top with the smoked mozzarella. Put the pan under the broiler until cheese is browned and bubbly.