Quick and easy veggie dish Spicy Mushrooms & Kale
- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (low sodium)
- Salt & pepper
- Cut portobello mushrooms into long slices (about 1/2 inch wide). Remove kale leaves from the stems and rip or cut up into smaller pieces. Heat up a grill pan (or sauté pan) over medium-low heat and drizzle olive oil in the pan. Add mushrooms slices and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until they begin to brown. Add kale leaves to the pan, covering the mushrooms. Pour in vegetable stock, turn the heat up to medium-high, and cover with a lid. Steam for 2 minutes. Remove the lid, and add red pepper flakes and a sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Stir everything together and allow liquid to evaporate in the pan for about 1 minute before serving.
- Tip 1: To save more time, look for pre-sliced portobello mushrooms in your grocery store. Tip 2: Make sure to give kale a long rinse before cooking. The curly leaves tend to hold trapped dirt and grit that you don’t want to sneak into your food. Tip 3: To make this dish more filling, try adding toasted walnuts or cashews.
leafy green vegetables such as spinach and kale are loaded with fiber and lutein, a carotenoid which has been found to reduce LDL cholesterol particles and help prevent heart disease with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant powers. Try these recipes: Vegetables are anything but boring if you spice them up and avoid overcooking, leaving them crunchy and colorful. Here’s a quick and easy veggie dish you can make anytime. It takes 10 minutes to prepare. Vegetable stock and red pepper flakes are two of my favorite ingredients to use for a boost of flavor and nutrition.