Red Lentil And Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp groud cumin
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) veg broth
- 1 cup dried red lentils (can use more!)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 bag baby spinich
- in a 4 quart saucepan heat oil on medium until hot. add carrots and onion, and cook 6-8 mins or until lightly browned and tender. stir in cumin. cook 1 minute.
- add tomatoes, broth, lenils, 2 cups water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp black pepper; cover and heat to boil on high. reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 8-10 mins or until lentils are tender. stir in spinich.
- makes about 7.5 cups.
- notes: i like to soak the lentils for a while before hand, so they cook faster, otherwise this soup can take a LONG time!
- also, it's great served alongside some yellow rice. YUM!