Red Velvet Cassata
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 18.5 ounces red velvet cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup corn oil, use your preference
- 8 ounces cream cheese, reduced fat
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- In bowl of mixer on medium speed, beat almond paste and 11/3cups water for 2 minutes.
- Add next 3 ingredients (cake mix, eggs and oil).
- On low speed, beat 30 seconds; scrape bowl then beat 2 more minutes on medium speed.
- Divide between two 8" round cake pans coated with flour based cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean; cool on rack.
- Half cake layers.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat next 2 ingredients (cream cheese and mascarpone), 1 cup heavy cream, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract 2 minutes.
- Beat remaining cream and sugar 2 minutes, then fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Place 1 cake layer on plate; top with 1 cup cream mixture. Repeat twice.
- Coat cake with remaining cream mixture and top with berries ( using a mix of berries like starwberries, raspberries citrus curls and edible flowers looked terrific in the photo!).
- Enjoy! ;).
- This cake is delicious and is from First Magazine #289916. My mother found this recipe and wanted me to make it for Easter. She was right as usual. It was an excellent choice. Forget calories when you make this.