Rhubarb and Banana Caramel Bread
- Cooking Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. ground oatmeal
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup large flake oatmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 medium banana sliced
- 2 stalks rhubarb, cut into bit size pieces
- 2 tbsp. banana Dulce De Leche
- 1 tbsp. sugar & cinnamon
- Preheat over to 375º.
- Grease your bread pan.
- Add First amount of water to the ground oatmeal and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl and combine sour cream, milk, vanilla, almond extract, brown sugar and water; mix until smooth.
- In another medium size bowl whisk flour, oatmeal, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together.
- Stir flour mixture into wet until just combined.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into the loaf pan.
- Place sliced bananas and the rhubarb over this batter and place dollops of the Dulce De Leche on top of the fruit.
- Pour the rest of the batter over the fruit.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the top.
I was going through a few blogs the other day and saw this recipe on What Smells So Good and decided to make it. I had a couple of stalks of rhubarb that were begging to be used. The bread is very moist. The combination of bananas and rhubarb seems to work. I did add banana Dulce De Leche to the middle as well. It called for flaxseed, since I did not have it I used oatmeal and also I changed the yogurt to sour cream. This version will have a bit more fat in it I am sure.